Aioli is an emulsion of egg and oil. Add a little sweetener, and it becomes home made healthy mayonnaise.
What is spring garlic? It is immature garlic harvested when the farmers thin the garlic fields. By removing some of the spring garlic, there is more room for the rest of the garlic to grow.
Is homemade mayonnaise hard? NO! The only trick is to slowly drizzle the oil into the blender instead of dumping it in all at once.
If you don’t have any spring garlic, you can swap out a few cloves of garlic instead.
Spring Garlic Aioli Ingredients
- 1-2 bulbs spring garlic (or 3-4 cloves of garlic)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar or another sweetener (optional)
- Remove the roots and most of the green leaves of the spring garlic and roughly chop.
- In the blender pulse the garlic a few times to chop it up.
- Add egg and salt and blend until the garlic is pureed.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in half of the olive oil.
- Stop the blender, scrape down the sides and add the lemon juice.
- Turn the blender on and slowly add remaining oil.
The renowned chef Audrey Humaciu created this recipe for Harvest2U.
Audrey is the Editor in Chef at That Recipe and VP of Creativity and Sarcasm at Munofore. When she’s not blogging about her eclectic interests from cooking and crafting to ornamental horticulture and the idiosyncrasies of the American language, she’s just your typical 40 something mom livin’ the life in the California burbs… without the minivan and over priced coffee.
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series. Recipe Videos
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes. Local source: Harvest2U, a Temecula Organic produce company.