Organic lemons add important nutrition and enhance the flavor of many recipes and should be enjoyed regularly.
Health Benefits of Organic Lemons
Most of us know that bright tart fruits are loaded with vitamin C which is a crucial antioxidant helping protect our cells from damage. Vitamin C also boosts our immune system, reduces inflammation and research has shown that diets high in fruits containing Vitamin C can decrease the risk of rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
They are also a good source of folate, which is a crucial nutrient needed for the production of blood cells. And studies are ongoing, but promising, for the unique flavonoids they contain decreasing the appearance of wrinkles and increasing metabolism and digestion (aka aids weight loss).
Lemons will stay fresh kept at room temperature for about one week, or you can store them in the drawers of your refrigerator, where they will keep for about four weeks.
Whole lemons do not freeze well, but you can freeze slices or wedges on a baking sheet then store them in a zip to lock bag for later use. Alternatively, you can juice the lemon and freeze in ice cube trays then store in zip lock bags. And don’t forget the zest! Because of the oils in the yellow part of the peel, lemon zest adds fantastic amounts of flavor to recipes. Grate up the zest and store in a zip lock bag or other freezer-safe containers.
Cooking with Organic Lemons
In cooking, lemons can be used in everything from salad dressings to dessert, including on meat and fish. A simple slice of lemon in water can act as an appetite suppressant and laxative as well as flavoring plain boring water.
Here are a few recipes to help you add organic lemons regularly to your diet:
- Blood Orange Grapefruit Lemon Ginger Juice
- Lemon Lime Asian Pear Juice
- Preserved Lemons
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Gluten Free (or not) Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Avgolemono (Chicken Soup with Lemon and Rice)
- Sweet Potatoes with Lemon
- Greek Lemon Oregano Kebabs
- Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken
- Seared Tuna Steaks with Lemon Caper Sauce
- Blueberries with Lemon Cream
- Lighter Lemon Bundt Cake
With so many benefits and ways to enjoy organic lemons, be sure to add them to your diet.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Get the Most Out of Your Harvest Delivery – Ten Tips
- No Sugar Added Orange Marmalade with Wine
- Grilled Baby Potatoes and Fennel – Healthy Side Dish
- Grapefruit Sorbet – A Refreshing Creamy Frozen Treat
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Avocado Friday! Produce Pop Up Market at Artisan’s Palate Temecula
- Stuffed Squash with Quinoa and Sausage – Nutritionally Packed
- The Powerful Pomegranate – Known Since Ancient Times
- 5 Lessons Research Teaches us about Preparing Tomatoes
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- 4 Major Health Benefits of Apples – Nutritional Powerhouses
- 3 Summer Fruits to Keep Out of the Fridge
- Vitamin C – A Critical Component for Your Body
- Organic Celery – Why You Need More Of It
- Chermoula – A Moroccan Herb Sauce and Cousin to Pesto
- Chop and Drop – A Busy Person’s Best Friend
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Strawberry Rosemary Wine Slushies – Beat The Heat
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Apple Casserole – Excellent Side Dish