Sweet and Sour carrots are a deliciously simple way to prepare carrots that goes well with any meal.
Carrots can get a little boring, but this quick recipe is a tasty way to serve these healthy root vegetables.
The known phytonutrients in carrots are lycopene, lutein, antioxidants alpha, gamma, betacarotenes, anthocyanins, zeaxanthin, and xanthophyll. You don’t need to remember these names, just remember that phytonutrients are nature’s wonderful provision for the healing of different diseases.
Capers are the pickled berries of the caper plant and add a finishing hint of saltiness to the dish. You can find them with the pickles and jarred onions. Leave them out and add a dash of sea salt or Kosher salt if desired.
Sweet and Sour Carrots Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1-2 teaspoons capers
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and cook onion until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrot slices and water. Cover and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup, vinegar, and raisins.
- Put in a serving dish, top with capers, and serve.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.