Uborkasalata translates literally as Dairy-Free Cucumber Salad in Hungarian. My mother-in-law serves this simple side dish at almost every holiday meal. I think it is best on a hot summer day; but, it goes very nicely as a complement to heavy winter meals as well, like Hungarian Goulash. Some versions add a teaspoon of sugar and or use paprika instead of black pepper.
Letting the cucumbers sit in salt before making the salad draws out some of the water, making them more flavorful. Be sure to rinse the cucumbers thoroughly before preparing the salad. And taste before adding more salt before serving.
Dairy Free Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 2 cucumbers
- ½ onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of water
- 1/3 cup vinegar (apple cider, white wine, rice, etc.)
- Peel and thinly slice cucumbers.
- Place in a bowl with salt and let sit 10-30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain completely.
- Thinly slice the onion. Add to the cucumbers with the water and vinegar and stir gently.
- Chill at least one hour.
- Add pepper to taste.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- 15 Radish Recipes to Break Out of the Salad Rut
- Preserved Lemons – Use Up All Those Lemons
- Easy No-Fuss Gazpacho – The Perfect Summer Soup
- Bell Peppers – Long List of Health Benefits
- Watermelon Cucumber Cups – A Fun Appetizer or Salad
- Pickled Radishes – A Delicious Way to Store This Wonderful Vegetable
- Chimichurri – Like You’ve Never Had!
- Roasted Carrot Marinara – Loaded With Beta-Carotene
- Carrot and Microgreens Juice – Without a Juicer
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.