Purple Carrot Ketchup is a homemade low sugar recipe of one of America’s favorite condiments. And not only is the color fun and 100% natural it adds a little added nutritional boost.
The purple carrots get their color from antioxidants known as anthocyanins. Plus, you get the antioxidant lycopene from the tomatoes. With just a hint of sweetener, which you can adjust to your preference, this is a much healthier version of premade ketchup.
Do you need to use purple carrots to make this? No, any color will do. But, it will vary the color. Orange carrots will give it a reddish-orange hue, white carrots will probably give it a dark pink/light red color.
Purple Carrot Ketchup Ingredients
- 2-3 medium purple carrots, cut into large chunks (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 ounce can low sodium tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or honey, maple syrup, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut the carrots into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft when poked with a fork.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the carrots with a little of the cooking water until smooth.
- Combine all ingredients in the medium saucepan.
- Simmer over medium low heat until the ketchup thickens and is reduced by about half.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Resources and Recipes
FREE Weekly Video Recipe Series
Sign-up for our 30-second (all under a minute) video recipe series is designed to provide you with an easy way to use Harvest2U’s locally grown organic produce.