Not your Grandma’s butternut squash (oh wait…maybe it is!)
Butternut Squash and Apples Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 small (or 1 large) butternut squashes, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut crosswise into ¼ to ½ -inch-thick slices
- 4-6 organic apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Oil/grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Stir butter, maple syrup, and apple juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts. Increase heat and boil until the mixture is slightly reduced. Try for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in your spices.
- Arrange one-third of the squash slices in your prepared dish. Top with half of the apple slices; then one-third of the squash slices. Arrange remaining squash and apple slices on top, alternating squash, and apple slices and overlapping slightly. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Pour maple syrup mixture over. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake squash the is almost tender (al dente’), about 50 minutes. Uncover and bake until squash is tender (but not mushy), occasionally basting with the syrup, for 20 min more.
- Make this ahead of time! Cover and refrigerate. Re-heat, covered at 350°F for 25 minutes.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Butternut Squash Appetizers – Excellent Source of Fiber
- Apple, Carrot, Beet, and Swiss Chard Juice – Nutrient Loading
- Butternut Squash Apple Casserole – Excellent Side Dish
- Broccoli Apple
- Chermoula – A Moroccan Herb Sauce and Cousin to Pesto
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies – Gluten Free
- Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup – Easy and Nutrient-Dense
- Maple Persimmon Muffins – No Sugar Added Muffins
- Microgreens and Tuna Salad – Nutrient Rich
- Blueberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing – Fresh and Healthy
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.