Dandelion Greens with Roasted Butternut Squash is a great way to prepare these bitter, but very healthy dark leafy greens. The sweetness of the roasted squash and raisins balances the bitterness, while the nuts add a nice crunch and some healthy fats.
Dandelion Greens get their bitterness from phytonutrients called glucosinolates which are great for the heart, reduce cancer risk, and protect from chronic inflammation diseases. (source) But, that bitterness can be off-putting to many people.
Instead of cooking them for a ridiculous amount of time and reducing the nutrients, this recipe adds other tastes to reduce that overwhelming sense of bitterness to your taste buds.
Dandelion Greens with Roasted Butternut Squash Ingredients
- 1-2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed in 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch dandelion greens, cut in 2-3 inch (or kale, collard greens, mustard greens, etc.)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the squash cubes with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast until soft and golden brown turning once or twice, about 20-25 minutes.
- After the squash has been roasting for about 10 minutes, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add greens and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add squash, raisins, and pecans to the skillet, stir and serve.
- Get the Most Out of Your Harvest Delivery – Ten Tips
- Citrus Fruits – 6 Healthy Reasons to Eat Besides Vitamin C
- Parmesan Rosemary Radishes – Juicy & Lightly Sweet
- Roasted Garlic Turnip Dip – A Healthy Dip Alternative
- Ginger Pear Butternut Squash Soup – A Twist On Traditional
- Arugula Strawberry Salad – With Salmon
- Add Winter Squash to Your Meals For A Health Boost
- Butternut Squash Apple Casserole – Excellent Side Dish
- Butternut Squash Appetizers – Excellent Source of Fiber
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Five Creative Ways to Use Kohlrabi
- Butternut Squash and Apples – The Way Grandma Made It
- Grilled Baby Potatoes and Fennel – Healthy Side Dish
- Apple, Carrot, Beet, and Swiss Chard Juice – Nutrient Loading
- Homemade Stock and Soup – Make Your Own