Kohlrabi (pronounced “cole-rah-bee”) is actually a cabbage, selectively bred by farmers over 500 years ago for its thick stem. Use kohlrabi cooked as well as raw. Edible preparations are made with both the stem and the leaves. The texture and taste of this vegetable are comparable to those of a broccoli stem or cabbage heart, but sweeter and milder, with a higher ratio of flesh to skin. The young stem, in particular, can be as crisp and juicy as an apple, although much less sweet.
Use Kohlrabi in Creative Ways
1. Eaten Raw
It is slightly crunchy and mildly spicy, like radishes mixed with turnip root. Grated, you can make a slaw, use in a salad, or eat it on its own with good olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt.
Harvest2U Recipe: KOHLRABI APPLE SLAW SIMPLE AND HEALTHY
2. Make Fritters
It makes great fritters. It’s is an excellent way to get children to eat their kohlrabi!
- Grate it and mix with one egg and several tablespoons of breadcrumbs or flour
- Heat butter or oil in a flat skillet
- Drop on little mounds and flatten slightly with the back of your spatula
- Turn after a few minutes
Serve when both sides are crispy.
Harvest2U Recipe: GLUTEN FREE CAULIFLOWER FRITTERS USING ORGANIC PRODUCE (substitute cauliflower with kohlrabi)
3. Pureed Soup
It can be used in vegetable soup. It’s even better in a pureed, creamy soup using mild spices so that sweet kohlrabi flavor can really stand out. It can also be added to or substituted for, recipes for cream of broccoli, cream of potato, and even cream of mushroom soup!
Harvest2U Recipe: BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP (add or substitute Kohlrabi)
4. Use Kohlrabi Steamed
Once steamed, you can use it in literally anything. You can throw it (steamed) into pasta, stir-fries, and frittatas dishes. Puree it with a little cream and mild spices.
Harvest2U Recipe: SQUASH AND KOHLRABI EMPANADAS
Similar to most vegetables, when roasted in the oven, the outside of the kohlrabi caramelizes, and the flavor sweetens and mellows. Try tossing it in with other roasted veggies like potatoes and eggplant for a hearty side dish.
Harvest2U Recipe: ROASTED KOHLRABI AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Harvest2U Juicing Tips and Why Local Sources Matter
- Pico De Gallo – Loaded with Healthy Antioxidants
- Spring Garlic Aioli – Homemade Healthy Mayonnaise
- Zutano Avocado – A Rare Tasty Delight
- Kick’n Vegetable Frittata – More Than a Breakfast Meal
- Stock and Soup – Tastes Better When You Make Your Own
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – A Delicious and Simple Side Dish
- Serve Microgreens in Tasty Ways – Packed with Nutrients
- Vegetables for Breakfast – A Healthy Start