Pico de Gallo is a simple raw salsa made with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro. It is delicious with chips or alongside your favorite Mexican dishes.
This salsa is loaded with healthy antioxidants like vitamins A and C as well as the specific flavonoids from the tomato (lycopene), peppers (capsaicin) and onions (quercitin).
The amounts below are estimates. I like more tomato than onion, but some people prefer equal amounts. Do you want Pico de Gallo spicier? Use a hotter pepper or another jalapeno. You can also add a finely chopped garlic clove or two if you wish to vary the taste a bit.
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 red or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- Remove the seeds and finely chop the jalapeno.
- Combine in a medium bowl.
- Add the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Creamy Chipotle Spinach Dip – A Healthy Dip
- Butternut Squash Appetizers – Excellent Source of Fiber
- Dairy and Gluten-Free Spicy Carrot Soup
- Citrus – Grapefruit (Oroblanco)
- Green Pepper Hot Sauce – Instant and Homemade
- Red Onion Jam – For Sandwiches, Burgers & Hot Dogs
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw – A Low-Carb Alternative
- 5 Lessons Research Teaches us about Preparing Tomatoes
- Pickled Radishes – A Way to Store This Wonderful Vegetable