Pico de Gallo is a simple raw salsa made with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro. It is delicious with chips or alongside your favorite Mexican dishes.
This salsa is loaded with healthy antioxidants like vitamins A and C as well as the specific flavonoids from the tomato (lycopene), peppers (capsaicin) and onions (quercitin).
The amounts below are estimates. I like more tomato than onion, but some people prefer equal amounts. Do you want Pico de Gallo spicier? Use a hotter pepper or another jalapeno. You can also add a finely chopped garlic clove or two if you wish to vary the taste a bit.
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 red or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- Remove the seeds and finely chop the jalapeno.
- Combine in a medium bowl.
- Add the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Creamy Chipotle Spinach Dip – A Healthy Dip
- Butternut Squash Appetizers – Excellent Source of Fiber
- Dairy and Gluten-Free Spicy Carrot Soup
- Citrus – Grapefruit (Oroblanco)
- Green Pepper Hot Sauce – Instant and Homemade
- Red Onion Jam – For Sandwiches, Burgers & Hot Dogs
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw – A Low-Carb Alternative
- 5 Lessons Research Teaches us about Preparing Tomatoes
- Pickled Radishes – A Way to Store This Wonderful Vegetable
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.