Citrus Fruits – 6 Healthy Reasons to Eat Besides Vitamin C
When you think of the nutrition of citrus fruits the first thing that comes to mind is probably an excellent source of vitamin C. While that is true, citrus fruits have much more to offer your body as well. Here are six powerful nutrients besides vitamin C that will have you reaching for oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, and tangerines.
Citrus fruits are an excellent source of fiber, both soluble, to reduce cholesterol, and insoluble, to keep the digestive tract working properly.
Phytonutrients called flavonoids are responsible for the color, and characteristic tang in citrus fruits and they help maintain heart health and reduce your cancer risk. Lycopene found in pink and ruby red grapefruit has been shown to minimize the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer and strokes.
For cell growth and development, Folate is essential. Proper folate intake is strongly linked to the prevention of neural tube birth defects. It also helps moderate certain amino acid levels in the blood that can lead to heart disease and memory impairment.
Citrus fruits are also a good source of potassium, which is essential in maintaining body fluid levels and lowering blood pressure.
Vitamin B6 reduces homocysteine levels in the blood, which helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
A serving of citrus fruit can help add this essential nutrient to your diet. Magnesium plays a critical role in metabolism, how we convert food to energy. It helps with calcium absorption for bone health; lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis and hypertension, and can help relieve migraines, PMS, and anxiety.
Delicious Ways to Enjoy Citrus Fruits
- Cucumber Orange Grapefruit Juice
- Blood Orange Grapefruit Lemon Ginger Juice
- Citrus Squash Drink
- Citrus Salsa
- Orange Cranberry Salad
- Arugula Blood Orange Blue Cheese Salad
- Orange and Fennel Salad
- Preserved Lemons
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Whole Orange Cranberry Bread
- Lemon Oregano Kebabs
- Avgolemono (Lemon and Rice Soup)
- Strawberry Grapefruit Granita
- Citrus Curd
- Ambrosia Parfaits – Healthy and No Sugar Added
- Apple Pomegranate Juice – Full of Antioxidants
- Spinach Watercress Juice – A Blood Cleanser
- Persimmon Smoothie Bowl – Delicious Breakfast or Dessert
- Produce Pop Up Market at Artisan’s Palate Temecula 8/30/19
- 5 Lessons Research Teaches us about Preparing Tomatoes
- Summer Squash – A Versatile and Nutritious Vegetable
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Bell Peppers – Long List of Health Benefits
- No Sugar Added Orange Marmalade with Wine
Leave a Comment