Strawberry Grapefruit Granita is a great way to use your organic fruits. It is a healthier snow cone type dessert using fresh fruit. Serve it in crystal glasses for dessert at a formal dinner party or some paper cups to enjoy the poolside in the heat of summer. Either way, it is a light and refreshing treat.
I combined some sweet organic strawberries and tart grapefruit, but you can use any organic fruit you wish.
You may vary the amount of sugar (or your preferred non-sugar sweetener) you use depending on the sweetness of the fruit. The grapefruit juice needed a bit more than orange juice would, for example.
Strawberry Grapefruit Granita Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2-3 fresh grapefruit
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar or your favorite non-sugar sweetener
- Mint, basil or lavender sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Clean and remove stems from strawberries.
- Puree in blender or food processor.
- Squeeze grapefruit to get about 1 cup of fresh grapefruit juice.
- Dissolve sugar in boiling water.
- Combine strawberry puree, grapefruit juice, and sugar water.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 pan and freeze until hard (3-4 hours).
- To serve, scrape with a fork, spoon into glasses and garnish if desired.