Avgolemono is Chicken and Rice Soup with a twist, literally. The lemon, bay, and cloves add a wonderful aromatic flavor. Plus you get a nice dose of vitamin C, B-complex, and potassium. The eggs thicken the broth and make the soup creamy without the dairy.
Chicken and Rice Soup Ingredients
- 1 lemon, zest removed and juiced to get ¼ cup juice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup long-grain white rice *
- 12 ounces chicken breast chopped into ½ inch cubes.
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 scallion, or fresh chives or mint, chopped
- Remove the zest (yellow part) from one lemon with a vegetable peeler or zester. Squeeze the lemon to get ¼ cup lemon juice.
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add rice, lemon zest, bay leaf, cloves, and salt. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lemon zest, bay leaf, and cloves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice. While constantly whisking, slowly add 1 cup of the hot soup broth to the eggs (otherwise the eggs will curdle instead of mixing with the soup).
- Add the egg mixture back into the soup and cook over medium until the soup is slightly thickened about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately with chopped scallion, chives or mint.
* To substitute brown rice for white, cook in the broth for 25 minutes before adding remaining ingredients and cooking for 20 more minutes.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest boxes for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Other Harvest2U organic produce soup recipes
- Carrot Puff Casserole – Great For Brunch Or A Side Dish For Lunch Or Dinner
- Preserved Lemons – Use Up All Those Lemons
- Natural Spa Treatments – Using 8 Harvest2U Box Ingredients
- Grilled Summer Squash and Quinoa – Source Of Fiber
- Colcannon – Irish Potatoes and Kale
- Spring Garlic Kale Soup – Use All That Wonderful Spring Produce
- Grilled Lemongrass Shrimp Skewers – A Herbal Lemony Taste
- Beet Noodles and Greens – High in Fiber, Vitamins & Minerals
- Apple Fennel Chutney – Honeyed
Audrey Humaciu created this recipe for Harvest2U
Audrey is the Editor in Chef at That Recipe and VP of Creativity and Sarcasm at Munofore. When she’s not blogging about her eclectic interests from cooking and crafting to ornamental horticulture and the idiosyncrasies of the American language, she’s just your typical 40 something mom livin’ the life in the California burbs… without the minivan and overpriced coffee.
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series. Recipe Videos