Colcannon (Irish Potatoes and Kale) is a delicious Irish side dish of creamy mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage. Both kale and cabbage provide healthy amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and calcium as well as a host of other nutrients. So, choose whichever you prefer or have available.
Traditionally, Irish Potatoes and Kale is served with a dollop of butter on top of each serving.
Colcannon – Irish Potatoes and Kale Ingredients
- 2 – 2.5 pounds or about 4 russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of kale (ribs removed and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 leek or about 3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup milk or cream
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Put in a medium saucepan and cover by 1 inch with cold water. Boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in the saucepan, add leeks and kale. Cook around 5 minutes until kale is wilted.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and milk.
- Mash potatoes. Add kale and leeks.
- Serve hot with additional butter on top if desired.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest boxes for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
The chef Audrey Humaciu created this recipe for Harvest2U.
Audrey is the Editor in Chef at That Recipe and VP of Creativity and Sarcasm at Munofore. When she’s not blogging about her eclectic interests from cooking and crafting to ornamental horticulture and the idiosyncrasies of the American language, she’s just your typical 40 something mom livin’ the life in the California burbs… without the minivan and overpriced coffee.
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series. Recipe Videos