Colcannon (Irish Potatoes and Kale) is a delicious Irish side dish of creamy mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage. Both kale and cabbage provide healthy amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and calcium as well as a host of other nutrients. So, choose whichever you prefer or have available.
Traditionally, Irish Potatoes and Kale are served with a dollop of butter on top of each serving.
Colcannon – Irish Potatoes and Kale Ingredients
- 2 – 2.5 pounds or about 4 russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of kale (ribs removed and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 leek or about 3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup milk or cream
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Put in a medium saucepan and cover by 1 inch with cold water. Boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in the saucepan, add leeks and kale. Cook around 5 minutes until kale is wilted.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and milk.
- Mash potatoes. Add kale and leeks.
- Serve hot with additional butter on top if desired.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Commercial Potato Farming – Non-Organic Vs. Organic
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Green Beans Wrapped in Bacon
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Simple Pesto Recipe – For Many Dishes
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup – Made with Plenty of Leeks
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient Powerhouse
- Black Beans Kale – The Perfect Pairing
- Un Stuffed Cabbage Casserole in the Pressure Cooker
- Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw – A Low-Carb Alternative
- Broccoli Garlic Butter Cashews – For The Broccoli Hater
- Stock and Soup – Tastes Better When You Make Your Own
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Caldo Verde – Potato and Kale (or Favorite Greens) Soup
- Broccoli Gratin – Pairing Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese
- Vegetables for Breakfast – A Healthy Start
- Garlic Roasted Carrots and Green Beans – Healthy Side Dish
- Add Winter Squash to Your Meals For A Health Boost
- Carrot Kohlrabi Soup – Perfect for Cold Winter Nights
- BBQ Chicken Burgers with Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.