Colcannon – Side Dish of Irish Potatoes and Kale
Colcannon (Irish Potatoes and Kale) is a delicious Irish side dish of creamy mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage. Both kale and cabbage provide healthy amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and calcium as well as a host of other nutrients. So, choose whichever you prefer or have available.
Traditionally, Irish Potatoes and Kale are served with a dollop of butter on top of each serving.
Colcannon – Irish Potatoes and Kale Ingredients
- 2 – 2.5 pounds or about 4 russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of kale (ribs removed and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 leek or about 3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup milk or cream
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Put in a medium saucepan and cover by 1 inch with cold water. Boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in the saucepan, add leeks and kale. Cook around 5 minutes until kale is wilted.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and milk.
- Mash potatoes. Add kale and leeks.
- Serve hot with additional butter on top if desired.
- Commercial Potato Farming – Non-Organic Vs. Organic
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Green Beans Wrapped in Bacon
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Simple Pesto Recipe – For Many Dishes
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup – Made with Plenty of Leeks
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient Powerhouse
- Black Beans Kale – The Perfect Pairing
- Un Stuffed Cabbage Casserole in the Pressure Cooker
- Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw – A Low-Carb Alternative
- Broccoli Garlic Butter Cashews – For The Broccoli Hater
- Stock and Soup – Tastes Better When You Make Your Own
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Caldo Verde – Potato and Kale (or Favorite Greens) Soup
- Broccoli Gratin – Pairing Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese
- Vegetables for Breakfast – A Healthy Start
- Garlic Roasted Carrots and Green Beans – Healthy Side Dish
- Add Winter Squash to Your Meals For A Health Boost
- Carrot Kohlrabi Soup – Perfect for Cold Winter Nights
- BBQ Chicken Burgers with Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw
Leave a Comment