Caldo Verde translates to green soup in Portuguese. You can use your favorite organic greens in this, even though it is traditionally made with kale or collard greens.
Organic Russet Potatoes work best in soups to thicken them, whereas waxier potatoes like Yukon Gold will give you excellent looking chunks. If you have them, use some of each for a thicker soup with pieces of potato.
And then there is the sausage. It is a Portuguese soup, so use linguica if you can find it. Otherwise, spicy Italian sausage, chorizo, or longaniza will work. All should be together in the same spot at the meat counter.
Caldo Verde Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (or minced)
- 1 pound of organic russet potatoes (or half russet and half Yukon gold) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, center stems removed, finely chopped
- 12-16 ounces cooked linguica (or Italian sausage or chorizo)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or stockpot, lightly heat olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and saute a few minutes until translucent.
- Add broth and potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add kale.
- Cook potatoes until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Mash potatoes.
- Add cooked sausage and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed and serve.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Resources and Recipes
- Mixed Greens Tart – Fiber, Iron, and Antioxidants
- Add Winter Squash to Your Meals For A Health Boost
- Radish Fritters – Delicious Way to Enjoy These Red Bulbs
- Carrot Kohlrabi Soup – Perfect for Cold Winter Nights
- Fuyu Persimmon – A Popular Harvest2U Organic Fruit
- Ginger Pear Butternut Squash Soup – A Twist On Traditional
- Un Stuffed Cabbage Casserole in the Pressure Cooker
- Cheddar Beet Risotto – Sweet and Creamy
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Grilled Baby Potatoes and Fennel – Healthy Side Dish
FREE Weekly Video Recipe Series
Sign-up for our 30-second (all under a minute) video recipe series is designed to provide you with an easy way to use Harvest2U’s locally grown organic produce.