This cheddar beet risotto dish is sweet and creamy. It uses the entire beet and is a nice pink color.
The beet is the taproot portion of a beet plant, and also known as the garden beet, table beet, golden beet or red beet. The Beet is one of several cultivated varieties of Beta vulgaris (i.e. Swiss Chard) grown for their edible roots and leaves (called beet greens).
Cheddar Beet Risotto Ingredients:
- 1 beet, peeled and quartered 2 cups loosely packed beet greens, stems trimmed
- 1 cups of water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste grated Parmesan cheese
- Put beets and greens in your blender or food processor and pulse to a fine chop.
- Mix the water and broth and bring to a simmer in a pot over medium heat.
- Heat olive oil in your favorite saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Cook the onion in the oil until translucent, maybe 3 minutes.
- Blend in the rice, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Fold in the beets and beet greens mixture, cooking for yet one more minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring the liquid before adding each batch. Stir continually.
- Now reduce your heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- As you stir, the mixture will thicken. Stir until creamy and thick.
- Top Parmesan cheese.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.