This cheddar beet risotto dish is sweet and creamy. It uses the entire beet and is a nice pink color.
- 1 beet, peeled and quartered 2 cups loosely packed beet greens, stems trimmed
- 1 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Temecula Olive Oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste grated Parmesan cheese
- Put beets and greens in your blender or food processor and pulse to a fine chop.
- Mix the water and broth and bring to a simmer in a pot over medium heat.
- Heat olive oil in your favorite saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Cook the onion in the oil until translucent, maybe 3 minutes.
- Blend in the rice, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Fold in the beets and beet greens mixture, cooking for yet one more minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring the liquid before adding each batch. Stir continually.
- Now reduce your heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- As you stir, the mixture will thicken. Stir until creamy and thick.
- Top Parmesan cheese.