This easy honeyed apple fennel chutney combines the sweetness of apples and honey and the tang of vinegar with some onions and fennel to make an excellent side dish for curry, chicken, or pork. While this dish is excellent fresh, it’s even better after the flavors have had a chance to develop for a few hours (or days).
How To Use Chutney
- An excellent topping for turkey or pork. (i.e., a Thanksgiving side dish.)
- Combine with winter squash or sweet potatoes before roasting.
- Serve with curry dishes.
- Mix into plain yogurt as a dip or snack.
- Purée and used as a condiment for chicken, turkey, or veggie burgers.
- Serve with sweet potato dishes
- Serve with cheese as a snack.
- Purée and mix into meatloaf.
- Purée and use instead of ketchup.
- Use as a topping for whole-grain pancakes or waffles.
Apple Fennel Chutney Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 cups organic fennel bulb (white part only without the hardcore, chopped)
- 1 medium organic onion (about 1 cup chopped)
- 3 cups organic apple (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup local honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Starting with your favorite skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Saute chopped fennel for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions begin to turn translucent about 5 minutes.
- Toss in your chopped apple and fennel seeds, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add vinegar, honey, and sugar. Finally, cook until apples are very soft and liquid has thickened to a light syrup.
- When finished, serve immediately or allow flavors to blend overnight (or longer) in the refrigerator.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Resources and Recipes
FREE Weekly Video Recipe Series
Sign-up for our 30-second (all under a minute) video recipe series is designed to provide you an easy way to use Harvest2U’s locally grown organic produce.