If you like caramelized onions, you are going to love this Red Onion Jam condiment. It is delicious on sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs. Need a quick and easy appetizer? Slice some baguettes thinly top with some brie and a dollop of Red Onion Jam.
Health Benefits of Homemade Jams
Jam has many of the health benefits of fruit, most notably, heart-healthy, cancer-fighting antioxidant power. It can help reduce the risk of developing various cancers, particularly mouth, stomach, and colon-rectum cancer.
- Unlike margarine, butter, cheese, and Nutella, jams don’t add to the cholesterol and fat content of your body. Healthy jam supports healthy weight when following suggested serving sizes.
- All fruit contains a substance called Pectin. During the process of heating, when making jams, this substance gets modified. The modified pectin can help reduce your chance of developing cancer, as well as: Improve the health of hair, skin, and fingernails, decrease bone loss, and diverticulitis.
- Jams are rich in sugar and a great source of Fiber and Energy. They restrain hunger, helping us to eat less. By doing so, they also reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Red Onion Jam Ingredients
- 2-3 large red onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Slice onions.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook until onions are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and remove bay and cinnamon. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the onions have a jam-like consistency.
- Store in refrigerator
- Apple Fennel Chutney – Honeyed
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry – Simple and Healthy
- Pico De Gallo – Loaded with Healthy Antioxidants
- 4 Major Health Benefits of Apples – Nutritional Powerhouses
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Apple Radish Fennel Salad – Greens Optional
- Basil Chimichurri – An Amazing Sauce in 5 Minutes
- Dairy Free Cucumber Salad – Hungarian Uborkasalata
- Black Beans Kale Tomatoes – A Simple Nutrient-Dense Meal
- Carrot Leaf Tea – A Perfect Way to Use the Green Tops
- Un Stuffed Cabbage Casserole in the Pressure Cooker