Carrot Leaf Tea is a light and refreshing green tea made from the tops of carrots, and a little lemon zest if desired.
Carrot leaves are edible as long as you buy organic carrots to ensure they haven’t been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. They have more vitamin C than the carrot root as well as vitamin K and chlorophyll not found in the root. They also have vitamin A, fiber, calcium and iron. And to think, you just tossed them in the compost pile!
Health benefits of eating carrot tops:
- chewing on carrot leaves can heal sores in the mouth
- detoxify and strengthen kidneys
- carrot greens are high in vitamin K
- chlorophyll in the leaves is said to have positive effects on tumors
- high in potassium
- rich in protein
The study, published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, found that compounds in Green Tea and Carrot reversed Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice.
Carrot Leaf Tea Ingredients
- 1 bunch carrot leaves, thoroughly washed
- zest from one lemon (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- honey and lemon slices for serving (optional)
- Place carrot leaves and lemon zest in a teapot.
- Pour boiling water over them and let them steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy with honey and lemon.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.