Carrot Leaf Tea is a light and refreshing green tea made from the tops of carrots, and a little lemon zest if desired.
Carrot leaves are edible as long as you buy organic carrots to ensure they haven’t been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. They have more vitamin C than the carrot root as well as vitamin K and chlorophyll not found in the root. They also have vitamin A, fiber, calcium, and iron. And to think, you just tossed them in the compost pile!
Health benefits of eating carrot tops:
- chewing on carrot leaves can heal sores in the mouth
- detoxify and strengthen kidneys
- carrot greens are high in vitamin K
- chlorophyll in the leaves is said to have positive effects on tumors
- high in potassium
- rich in protein
The study, published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, found that compounds in Green Tea and Carrot reversed Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice.
Carrot Leaf Tea Ingredients
- 1 bunch carrot leaves, thoroughly washed
- zest from one lemon (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- honey and lemon slices for serving (optional)
- Place carrot leaves and lemon zest in a teapot.
- Pour boiling water over them and let them steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy with honey and lemon.
- Beet Fennel Salad – The Perfect Combination
- Grilled Baby Potatoes and Fennel – Healthy Side Dish
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – A Simple Side Dish
- Avgolemono – Nutritious Chicken and Rice Soup
- Grapefruit Sorbet – A Refreshing Creamy Frozen Treat
- Dehydrating Herbs for Year-Round Flavor
- Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar
- Broccoli Carrot Salad – Loaded with Fiber and Antioxidants
- Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken Salad – Best Flavors of Spring
- Caldo Verde – Potato and Kale (or Favorite Greens) Soup
- Preserved Lemons – Use Up All Those Lemons
- Tomato Juice – With a Splash of Cayenne Pepper
- Broccoli Pineapple Juice – A Great Combination!
- Get the Most Out of Your Harvest Delivery – Ten Tips
- The Powerful Pomegranate – Known Since Ancient Times
- Organic Lemons Are Great For Your Health
- Microgreens and Tuna Salad – Nutrient Rich
- Garlic Kale Soup – Use All That Wonderful Spring Produce