Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar
If you’re stuck in the rut of spinach from a plastic clamshell every week, it’s time to get on the Swiss Chard train!
The stems from Swiss chard shouldn’t be thrown in the trash; they add a layer of flavor and texture to any sauté.
A leafy vegetable, Swiss Chard, is the same species as beets. It has crunchy stems that are commonly red, though it can also be yellow or white. The leaves vary in color from dark green to reddish-green. The flavor is comparable to beets and spinach, with a slight bitterness, and strong earthy flavor.
Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar Ingredients
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion – cut into desired pieces
- 2 garlic cloves – grated
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or Sherry vinegar
- Cut Swiss chard stems into very small pieces.
- Tear leaves into 2″ pieces and rinse well
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add chard stems, onion, and garlic and season with salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are starting to soften but haven’t taken on any color, about 2 minutes.
- Add chard leaves, season with salt, and cook, tossing occasionally, until leaves are tender and have released some liquid, about 3 minutes
- Mix in vinegar; taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Carrot Leaf Tea – A Perfect Way to Use the Green Tops
- Radish Fritters – Delicious Way to Enjoy These Red Bulbs
- Blueberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing – Fresh and Healthy
- Beef and Vegetable Soup – Plus Greens For Extra Nutrition
- ABC Juice
- Apple Beet Carrot Juice to Jump Start Your Day
- Organic Lemons Are Great For Your Health
- Pickled Beet Relish – Perfect for Sandwiches or Burgers
- Beet Hummus – High In Nutrition, Fiber, and Protein
- Stuffed Squash with Quinoa and Sausage – Nutritionally Packed
- Low Carb Creamed Spinach – Healthy and Easy
- Spinach Vegetable Juice to Start Your Day
- Basil Chimichurri – An Amazing Sauce in 5 Minutes
- Beet Fennel Salad – The Perfect Combination
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient-Packed Powerhouse
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Organic Celery – Why You Need More Of It
- Strawberry Rosemary Wine Slushies – Beat The Heat
- Vegetables for Breakfast – A Healthy Start
- Rosemary Fermented Carrots – Helps Overall Health
Leave a Comment