This Pickled Beet Relish is a bright red cousin to its cucumber cousin “Sweet Pickle Relish.” It is equally delicious on sandwiches or burgers. I made mine a little chunky. But, feel free to chop it up finer if you desire. This recipe uses about one bunch of beets and ½ to one head of cabbage depending on the size. You want roughly equal amounts of 2 cups each. It makes about one quart which you can quickly put in a glass jar in the fridge – no canning required! Want to can it to save for later or give to family and friends? Cut the simmer in half and process in a boiling-water canner.
Pickled Beet Relish Ingredients
- 1 small head cabbage
- 5-6 medium beets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup organic, unfiltered, unprocessed vinegar
- ½ tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Peel beets, wrap in foil, and bake at 400 degrees for about an hour. Let cool.
- Remove the center core from the cabbage and cut into thin shreds.
- Chop beets, bell pepper, and onions into small pieces.
- Place all vegetables into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
Store in refrigerator.
Most pickle recipes make more brine than you actually need to cover the pickles. Here’s an easy way to use it up. See Pickled Beet Eggs to use the leftover brine.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw – A Low-Carb Alternative
- Sauerkraut – Just in Time for Oktoberfest
- 15 Radish Recipes to Break Out of the Salad Rut
- Beet Fennel Salad – The Perfect Combination
- Fennel Broccoli Red Bell Pepper – An Amazing Treat
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Beet Hummus – High In Nutrition, Fiber, and Protein
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.