Beef and vegetable soup is loaded with healthy root vegetables, plus some greens tossed in at the end for extra color and nutrition.
I have included instructions for cooking it 3 different ways: stovetop, slow cooker, and pressure cooker.
Beef and Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pound beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips with greens whites cut into cubes, greens cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 14 to 15-ounce cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients, except turnip greens and salt and pepper, to slow cooker, pressure cooker or stovetop.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours (time will vary based on the size of the slow cooker)
- Set to Soup and adjust the time to 17 minutes, let the pressure release naturally.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 2 hours until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add the turnip greens and cook for a few minutes more until the greens are wilted. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi – Homemade Pasta
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup – Made with Plenty of Leeks
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Organic Turnips – Mustard’s and Bok Choy’s Cousin
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient Powerhouse
- Spring Vegetable Risotto – Asparagus, Leeks, and Peas
- Preserved Lemons – Use Up All Those Lemons
- Gluten-Free Cauliflower Fritters Using Organic Produce
- Five Creative Ways to Use Kohlrabi
- Broccoli Beef – Simple and Ready in 30 Minutes
- Apple and Quinoa Stuffed Squash – Use Your Favorite Squash
- Easy No-Fuss Gazpacho – The Perfect Summer Soup
- Carrot Greens – More Vitamin C Than the Root
- Radish Fritters – Delicious Way to Enjoy These Red Bulbs