I have included instructions for cooking it 3 different ways: stovetop, slow cooker, and pressure cooker.
Beef and Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pound beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips with greens whites cut into cubes, greens cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 14 to 15-ounce cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients, except turnip greens and salt and pepper, to slow cooker, pressure cooker or stovetop.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours (time will vary based on the size of the slow cooker)
- Set to Soup and adjust the time to 17 minutes, let pressure release naturally.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 2 hours until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add the turnip greens and cook for a few minutes more until the greens are wilted. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in these recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest boxes for these recipes.
The chef Audrey Humaciu created this recipe for Harvest2U.
Audrey is the Editor in Chef at That Recipe and VP of Creativity and Sarcasm at Munofore. When she’s not blogging about her eclectic interests from cooking and crafting to ornamental horticulture and the idiosyncrasies of the American language, she’s just your typical 40 something mom livin’ the life in the California burbs… without the minivan and overpriced coffee.
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series. Recipe Videos