Beef and vegetable soup is loaded with healthy root vegetables, plus some greens tossed in at the end for extra color and nutrition.
I have included instructions for cooking it 3 different ways: stovetop, slow cooker, and pressure cooker.
Beef and Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pound beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips with greens whites cut into cubes, greens cut into small strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 14 to 15-ounce cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients, except turnip greens and salt and pepper, to slow cooker, pressure cooker or stovetop.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours (time will vary based on the size of the slow cooker)
- Set to Soup and adjust the time to 17 minutes, let the pressure release naturally.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 2 hours until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add the turnip greens and cook for a few minutes more until the greens are wilted. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi – Homemade Pasta
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup – Made with Plenty of Leeks
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- 12 Tips to Make Incredible Green Salads
- Organic Turnips – Mustard’s and Bok Choy’s Cousin
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient Powerhouse
- Spring Vegetable Risotto – Asparagus, Leeks, and Peas
- Preserved Lemons – Use Up All Those Lemons
- Gluten-Free Cauliflower Fritters Using Organic Produce
- Five Creative Ways to Use Kohlrabi
- Broccoli Beef – Simple and Ready in 30 Minutes
- Apple and Quinoa Stuffed Squash – Use Your Favorite Squash
- Easy No-Fuss Gazpacho – The Perfect Summer Soup
- Carrot Greens – More Vitamin C Than the Root
- Radish Fritters – Delicious Way to Enjoy These Red Bulbs