Why save the Hasselback technique for just potatoes when you can have Hasselback turnips? It works deliciously with other organic root vegetables such as rutabagas as well. And if you are counting carbs or calories, these vegetables have less than potatoes.
Turnips are high in vitamin C. The leaves (“turnip greens”) are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, vitamin K, and calcium.
The only challenge to making them is to only slice 75% of the way through the turnip (or potato or rutabaga). One trick is to place a wooden spoon handle next to the turnip to stop the knife from going all the way. If you do unintentionally cut all the way through, it isn’t the end of the world, just cozy the two pieces together on the pan before baking.
Hasselback Turnips Ingredients
- 1 bunch turnips, root and greens removed
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the top end of the turnip flat and peel.
- Place the flat side down and thinly slice turnip PARTIALLY through, leave at least 1/4 inch on the bottom intact.
- Stuff garlic and herbs between the slices. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until turnips are soft, 20-30 minutes depending on size. If desired, broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the tops.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Beet Fennel Salad
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry – Simple and Healthy
- Watermelon Cucumber Cups – A Fun Appetizer or Salad
- Kohlrabi Apple Slaw Simple and Healthy
- Honey Glazed Carrots – Loaded with Antioxidants
- Caldo Verde – Potato and Kale Soup
- Organic Turnips – Mustard’s and Bok Choy’s Cousin
- Greek Lemon Oregano Kebabs
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.