Chermoula is a great use of many of the organic vegetables and herbs that come in our weekly harvest box. Chermoula is a Moroccan (North African) green sauce with fresh herbs, spices, and preserved lemons. Think of it as a cousin of Pesto and Chimichurri. It is excellent as a finishing sauce on fish, or use it as a marinade for other meats. I also mixed a few tablespoons with some yogurt for a salad dressing.
One ingredient that might be new to you is the preserved lemon. Preserved lemons are an everyday staple of North African and Moroccan cuisine and are nothing more than lemons that have been cured in salt for a few days/weeks. You can try to find them in the Middle Eastern section of the store or make your own with these easy instructions from NPR. You can swap out the zest of one lemon instead along with a pinch of salt if you don’t want to make or buy them. The taste isn’t exact but a decent replica.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped mint
- 1/4 preserved lemon, pulp discarded and rind coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients, except olive oil, salt, and pepper, in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse a few times to chop up the ingredients, then process until the ingredients begin to form a paste.
- While the blender or processor is running drizzle in the olive oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuffed Squash with Quinoa and Sausage – Nutritionally Packed
- Carrot Balls – Low Carb Sweet or Spicy
- Grilled Summer Squash and Quinoa – Source Of Fiber
- Organic Lemons Are Great For Your Health
- Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar
- Microgreens and Tuna Salad – Nutrient Rich
- Low Carb Creamed Spinach – Healthy and Easy
- Garlic Kale Soup – Use All That Wonderful Spring Produce
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry – Simple and Healthy
- Gluten-Free Lemon Zucchini Bread – High Nutritional Value
- Sauteed Rosemary Beets – Easy Way to Prepare a Superfood
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup and Warm Spices
- Dairy-Free Cucumber Salad – Hungarian Uborkasalata
- Watermelon Cucumber Cups – A Fun Appetizer or Salad
- Fire Cider or Four Thieves Cider – Helps Keep Your Family Healthy
- Cheddar Beet Risotto – Sweet and Creamy
- Orange Cranberry Salad – With Tea Infused Dressing