This simple Roasted Beet and Pecan Salad makes a very striking presentation and is loaded with healthy goodness. The nuts and olive oil provide a good dose of unsaturated fats. The beets are high in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and manganese. I like to roast my beets the night before and let them chill in the refrigerator until I am ready for them. The peel and stems slide right off when it is time to prepare the salad.
Roasted Beet and Pecan Salad Ingredients
For the Salad
- 4-5 medium beets
- 1 small bunch chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Prepare the Beets
- Trim the tops off the beets and save for another use.
- Trim off the long taproot.
- Wrap with foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Let cool.
- Slough off peel and stem, using the foil to scrub gently if necessary.
- Slice beets thinly and arrange on a serving plate, or individual plates if desired.
Prepare the Nuts
- In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add nuts and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning if desired.
- Remove from heat.
Prepare the Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon, mustard, juice, and vinegar.
- Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup olive oil.
Assemble the Salad
- Chop chives and sprinkle on top of the beets.
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Microgreens Pesto – A Versatile Sauce
- Gluten Free Lemon Zucchini Bread – High Nutritional Value
- Grilled Baby Potatoes and Fennel – Healthy Side Dish
- Grilled Summer Squash and Quinoa – Source Of Fiber
- Apple Jujube Crisp – Perfect For The Fall Season
- Watermelon Cucumber Cups – A Fun Appetizer or Salad
- Carrot Balls – Low Carb Sweet or Spicy
- Chermoula – A Moroccan Herb Sauce and Cousin to Pesto
- Apple Fennel Chutney – Honeyed
- Garlic Kale Soup – Use All That Wonderful Spring Produce