Beetroots, or Beets, are one of nature’s most perfect food crops. Most people don’t know that the greens are also edible and are essentially Swiss Chard. Commonly, beets and beet greens are used in soups, salads, juicing, and for pickling. The roots can also be used as a natural food dye or fabric coloring agent.
Beets contain little calories yet are big on nutrients. They are also one of the few vegetables that contain nearly all of the essential vitamins and minerals scientifically proven necessary for health and overall wellness.
Known Benefits of Beetroots
Blood Pressure Regulator
Raw beets are more effective than cooked beets due to the higher concentration of nitrates. Nitrates are converted into nitric oxide in the body which dilates blood vessels, causing blood pressure to drop. The benefit is most noted in the systolic blood pressure, rather than diastolic blood pressure.
Weight Loss Support
Beets have a high water and nutrient content which help give you that full feeling after eating them. Beets also have reasonable amounts of protein and fiber which are essential to maintaining a healthy weight.
Anti-Cancer and Anti-Inflammatory
Beets contain pigments called betalains, which may possess a number of anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation in the body is associated with all kinds of cancers and other life-threatening diseases.
Brain Health Support
Nitrates in beets and beet greens may improve mental and cognitive function by dilating blood vessels and increasing blood flow to the brain. Specifically, blood flow to the frontal lobe of the brain is affected most, an area associated with higher-level thinking, such as decision making and working memory.
The high fiber content in beets promotes digestive health, helps keep you regular, and prevents digestive conditions like constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, and diverticulitis. Fiber has also been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases including colon cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
Mixed Root Raw Veggie Pickles Recipe
These raw vegetable pickles are a perfect snack, garnish, charcuterie platter accent, or meal accompaniment.
Mixed Root Raw Veggie Pickles Ingredients
- 2 large peeled beetroots
- 6 large peeled carrots
- 10-14 radishes
- 20 small or medium cloves peeled garlic
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Filtered or Bottled Water
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 TBSP.
- Pickling Spices
- Cut carrots into sticks or rounds
- Cut radishes and beets into thin rounds
- Divide veggies evenly between (2) 32oz. glass mason jars
- Add 2 TBSP. pickling spices and 1 tsp sea salt to each jar
- Fill each jar ¼ of the way with water
- Pour Apple Cider Vinegar over the top until the jar is full.
- Put a lid on and shake well
- Refrigerate for 3-5 days before consuming, keep up to a month
Note: You can add cucumbers, squash, or any other vegetables you like to this recipe.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar
- Powerful Purple Juice – Not Mama’s Grape Juice
- Roasted Beet and Pecan Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Beet Hummus – High In Nutrition, Fiber, and Protein
- Radishes Beets Squash Stew – A Favorite Comfort Food
- Apple, Carrot, Beet, and Swiss Chard Juice – Nutrient Loading
- Carrot Beet Celery Root Juice – A Nutrient Booster
- Pickled Radishes – A Way to Store This Wonderful Vegetable
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Pickled Beet Relish – Perfect for Sandwiches or Burgers
- ABC Juice – Great for Juicing Newbies
- Jujube Fruit – 7 Reasons to Include It in Your Diet
- Vitamin C – A Critical Component for Your Body
- Green Citrus Juice – A Perfect Way To Start Your Day
- Spinach Vegetable Juice to Start Your Day