Chicory and Beans, Cicoria e Fagioli in Italian, is a simple greens and beans recipe that is delicious as a side dish yet hearty enough for a full meal. James Beard adds a pound of cooked Italian Sausage to his method, cooking it with the garlic and pepper. Others add a quart of chicken or vegetable broth instead of the cooking liquid to make it a soup.
I used Catalogna Chicory for this. It is related to dandelion greens which you could use as a substitute for part or all of the chicory if you don’t have any. Like other dark green leafy vegetables, it is low in calories, with lots of fiber and vitamins A, C, and K as well as copper and manganese.
Chicory and Beans Ingredients
- 1-2 pounds of chicory leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 15 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves spring garlic chopped (or 2-3 cloves regular garlic cloves, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- Bring a quart of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add chicory leaves and boil for 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid and drain off the rest.
- In a skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes until it is fragrant, and the garlic has softened.
- Add the cooked chicory leaves, cannellini beans, and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Simmer until the chicory is very soft and the liquid has been mostly absorbed about 5 minutes.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Black Beans Kale Tomatoes – A Simple Nutrient-Dense Meal
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – A Simple Side Dish
- Arugula Pomegranate Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies – Gluten Free
- Pomegranate Marinade – A Powerful Antioxidant Boost
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- Grapefruit Sorbet – A Refreshing Creamy Frozen Treat
- Chermoula – A Moroccan Herb Sauce and Cousin to Pesto
- Garlic Roasted Carrots and Green Beans – Healthy Side Dish
- Fire Cider or Four Thieves Cider – Keep Your Family Healthy
- Swiss Chard with Onions and Vinegar
- Carrot Leaf Tea – A Perfect Way to Use the Green Tops
- Butternut Squash Apple Casserole – Excellent Side Dish
- Carrot Greens – More Vitamin C Than the Root
- Cheddar Beet Risotto – Sweet and Creamy
- Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken Salad – Best Flavors of Spring
- Benefits of Beets – Elevated to Superfood Status
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient Powerhouse
- 15 Radish Recipes to Break Out of the Salad Rut
- Un Stuffed Cabbage Casserole in the Pressure Cooker
- Catalogna Chicory Salad with Avocado, Grapefruit and Pumpkin Seeds
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.