If you are counting net carbohydrates here are 10 low carb vegetables, packed with nutrients and are delicious too.
I use the terms net carbs and digestible carbs interchangeably below. The number is calculated by subtracting the amount of fiber in grams from the total amount of carbohydrates contained in a 1 cup raw serving. Some people may not want to munch on an entire cup of raw kale, but it makes the comparison a bit easier.
Low Carb Vegetables
The lone fruit on the list is the avocado. But many people consider it a vegetable, so it is going on my list of low carb vegetables. One cup of avocado contains 21 grams of heart-healthy fat and 3 net carbs, plus they are an excellent source of vitamin B and C-6.
Broccoli contains only 4 grams of digestible carbs per 1 cup serving and is loaded with vitamin C, and K. Studies have shown it can help prevent cancer and lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Broccoli Gratin (omit topping and add more cheese on top)
- Creamy Bacon and Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli with Garlic Butter and Cashews
Cabbage has only 2 grams of net carbohydrates per cup, plus over 50% of the RDI of vitamin C and K. Like broccoli it has been shown to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and it is loaded with flavonoids that act as antioxidants to potentially help prevent a host of serious diseases.
As one of the low carb vegetables, Cauliflower has become the darling of the Keto world, acting as a substitute for everything from rice to pizza crust. With only 2 grams of digestible carbs, it is a healthy choice to add to any eating plan with its phytonutrients and antioxidant properties.
Celery is excellent raw with a dip or add it to some of your favorite dishes for only 1 net carb per cup. It packs in the antioxidants as well as a host of phytonutrients that act as anti-inflammatories in the body.
6. Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard and other greens
Dark leafy greens are loaded with all kinds of healthy vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. The net carbs vary some depending on the type from 2-3 carbs per one cup serving. But most can be substituted for each other if you find some too bitter for your liking.
- Stir Fried Sesame Tatsoi (use the oyster sauce or other low carb sauce)
- Spring Garlic Kale Soup
- Smothered Greens (omit sweetener)
Kohlrabi is starting to become easier to find, and it is amazingly versatile and nutritious. Kohlrabi has about 2 ½ grams of digestible carbs in the bulb, and the greens can be treated like other dark leafy greens.
8. Lettuces (including Arugula)
Lettuce has 1-2 net carbs, with arugula on the higher end. Nutrition varies by type of lettuce, but all are good sources of folate which can help prevent heart disease.
Radishes are incredible little vegetables that help to detoxify your body by flushing out some harmful compounds from the bloodstream. They contain about 2 grams of digestible carbohydrates per cup.
Zucchini, both green and yellow varieties, has only 3 net carbs per serving and is a wonderful substitute for a variety of higher carb choices, particularly noodles.
Always use organic fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Do you live in one of these Southern California Cities? Aguanga, Fallbrook, Hemet, Homeland, Lake Elsinore, Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, or Winchester. If you do, you can use the local organic fruits and vegetables in our harvest deliveries for these recipes.
Other Great Recipes and Resources
- Cranberry Apple Juice – No Spray Here
- Beet Noodles and Greens – High in Fiber, Vitamins & Minerals
- Chermoula – A Moroccan Herb Sauce and Cousin to Pesto
- Green Pepper Hot Sauce – Instant and Homemade
- Grilled Lemongrass Shrimp Skewers – A Herbal Lemony Taste
- Low Carb Creamed Spinach – Healthy and Easy
- 4 Major Health Benefits of Apples – Nutritional Powerhouses
- Cheddar Beet Risotto – Sweet and Creamy
- Kohlrabi – A Nutrient-Packed Powerhouse
- Carrot Balls – Low Carb Sweet or Spicy
Like Recipe Videos? Check out our Weekly Video Recipe Series.