Ratatouille – Combination of Organic Summer Produce
Ratatouille is a peasant dish with origins in the Provence region of France. It is a simple but flavorful combination of summer produce like eggplant, zucchini (or other summer squash), and tomatoes. Toss in some onions and garlic plus fresh herbs for extra flavor, and you have a delicious vegetable dish.
In the movie of the same name, Remy makes a dramatic presentation of the dish by slicing the vegetables in circles and placing them in beautiful concentric circles around the baking-plate. If you want to go to the time, you can do it that way. This version is a bit of a cross between the traditional chunked vegetables and the deluxe movie version.
You can use large globe eggplant or the smaller skinnier version. If using the larger version, cut it into circles then halves or quarters.
Peasant Ratatouille Ingredients
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup olive oil, divided use
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups eggplant, cut into circles (if using large eggplant, cut circles into halves or quarters)
- 3 cups zucchini, cut into circles
- 3 bell peppers (color not significant), cut into thin strips
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped herbs such as basil, parsley, chives, etc.
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Mix half the onions with the eggplant and the other half with the zucchini.
- Put half the eggplant in the skillet in a single layer. Then half the zucchini. Then half of the bell peppers. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant, zucchini, and peppers. Drizzle with more oil, salt, and pepper. Top with tomatoes.
- Cover the skillet and cook on medium until the vegetables are tender about 20-30 minutes.
- Top with fresh herbs and serve.
- Green Goddess Dressing – Boost Your Immune System
- Arugula Pomegranate Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette
- Garlic Kale Soup – Use All That Wonderful Spring Produce
- Sausage and Pepper Hash – An Easy Sheet Pan Dinner
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup – Made with Plenty of Leeks
- Foil Packet Garlic Herb Chicken with Seasonal Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Summer Vegetables
- Smashed Baby Potatoes – Perfect For Small Potatoes
- BBQ Chicken Burgers with Keto Kohlrabi Coleslaw
- Apple Pomegranate Juice – Full of Antioxidants
- Basil Chimichurri – An Amazing Sauce in 5 Minutes
- Creamy Keto Braised Celery – Triple It For the Holidays
- Gluten-Free Lemon Zucchini Bread – High Nutritional Value
- Keep Hydrated with These 8 Summer Produce Superstars
- Beet Noodles and Greens – High in Fiber, Vitamins & Minerals
- Apple and Quinoa Stuffed Squash – Use Your Favorite Squash
- Vegetables for Breakfast – A Healthy Start
- Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken Salad – Best Flavors of Spring
- Microgreens Pesto – A Versatile Sauce
Leave a Comment